Dreamy destination: Cool Copenhagen
Copenhagen boasts stunning design, secret cocktail bars, great restaurants, fascinating sights, hip and beautiful people, plus hygge (pronounced hoo-guh), meaning cosiness, warmth and wellbeing.
- Be charmed by the Tivoli Gardens, a lush park filled with amusement rides, theatres, restaurants, bandstands, cafes, shops and regular firework shows (a Danish passion).
- Hang out in Nyhavn, a vibrant historic harbour lined with restaurants and bars.
- Feel regal at the National Museum. This 1744 palace exhibits Viking artefacts and classical Eastern and Danish antiquities.
- Join the world’s hippest areas in the Vesterbro neighbourhood.
- Stroll down one of Europe’s longest pedestrian streets. Strøget Street offers luxe and affordable brands, a great vibe, musicians and acrobats.
- Be dazzled by the historic Christiansborg Palace on the Slotsholmen Island.
- Hit the nightlife: the city is known for its brilliant DJs and clubs, including Culture Box, one of Europe’s top electronic-music venues.
Decor and architecture lovers come from around the world to revel in the iconic Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, designed by the brilliant architect Arne Jacobsen. But it’s not only decor fans who marvel at the spiral staircase and signature Swan and Egg chairs. Everyone from the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela to Snoop Dogg has stayed here, enjoying its location in the heart of the city, across the road from Tivoli Gardens. The big buzz is the stunning lobby, but there’s also the Café Royal (try brunch or a classy new Nordic cuisine dinner) and fantastically friendly staff. Visit radissonblu.com.
New York has cupcakes, Paris has macarons and Copenhagen is all about flødebolle, biscuits topped with chocolate-coated meringue. You’d never say so, though, to see the lithe Danes – must be all that cycling! Also on the menu: outstanding cheeses, crispy bread, the best salmon and heavenly coffee. Danish food is influencing world cuisine, so don’t miss the Meatpacking District for food trucks and superb restaurants like Paté Paté.
Looking for more great travel destinations? Check out our review of Marrakech!