Get into holiday mode with this fantastic breakfast!
The best thing about being on vacay? Having the time to indulge in a decadent and delicious breakfast! This scrumptious French toast recipe will give you all the feels.
PANETTONE FRENCH TOAST WITH MASCARPONE AND GRILLED PEACHES
What you’ll need
- 6 thick slices panettone, challah or brioche
- 4 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 250ml fresh cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out, or 10ml vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 60ml butter
- 20ml brown sugar, preferably demerara
- 3 peaches, halved
- 1 x 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Lay the slices of bread in a large baking dish.
- Blend the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, salt, orange juice and zest in a blender, or by using a stick blender, until foamy. Pour the mixture over the bread and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in the fridge for a few hours, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place a baking tray in the oven while it heats up.
- Take the pieces of bread out of the fridge, brush with 30ml of the butter and sprinkle with 15ml of the sugar. Flip the pieces of bread over and brush the other side with more butter. Remove the hot tray from the oven, spray lightly with cooking spray and place the slices, with the sugared side on top, onto the tray. Return to the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping occasionally until golden brown and crispy on the outside and custardy on the inside.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium heat and grill the peaches cut side down until nicely scored, then turn them 90 degrees and continue grilling until they are charred with a crisscross design.
- Whisk the remaining 5ml sugar into the mascarpone. Serve the French toast with half a grilled peach, a dollop of mascarpone and a dusting of icing sugar.
Extracted from Brunch Across 11 Countries by Alix Verrips (Human & Rousseau; R390)