Get ready to cook up a spice storm with this fragrant recipe!
BEULAH’S LAMB NECK CURRY
What you’ll need
- 4 red chillies, pounded
- 25g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp freshly ground peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5kg lamb neck pieces
- 50ml oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 500ml boiling water
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 500ml chopped seasonal vegetables
- Mix together the chillies, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, peppercorns, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry leaves and bay leaves. Rub the meat with this mixture and allow to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, add the oil and heat on high. Brown the meat in batches, then return all of it to the saucepan. Add the onions and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes on low heat. Add the boiling water and salt, and cover partially with the lid. Simmer for 1 hour on low heat.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and garam masala and simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. You may need to add a little more water.
- Add the vegetables and simmer until they are cooked through, and the consistency of the gravy is to your liking. Adjust the seasoning and serve.