What you’ll need
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 250ml dry red wine
- 100–200ml Old Brown Sherry
- 250ml cold water
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Leaves of 4–5 oregano sprigs
- 1 tbsp raspberry (or apple) jelly
- 1–2 stout oxtails
- A potjie pot
- Heat the potjie pot over hot coals, making sure to have plenty of extra coals ready so that you can add more over the course of 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in the potjie and add the chopped onion, crushed garlic, diced carrots and sliced celery. Allow to simmer, stirring now and then, until the vegetables have softened.
- Sprinkle over a little cornflour, stir to coat, and cook for a minute or two, stirring. Add the red wine, sherry, water, ginger, oregano and jelly, stir well, and return to a gentle simmer.
- Add the oxtail chunks, bring back to a simmer, and cook on a gentle heat for 4-6 hours. Spoon off any extra fat and serve with braai bread.