This spicy dish will warm you up when the weather gets cold
The temperature is cooling down, so it’s time to turn up the heat in the kitchen! There’s nothing better than spicy comfort food in winter, and this low carb Moroccan chicken dish is just that – without any added guilt.
What you’ll need
- 10–14 pieces of chicken
- 4 tbsp macadamia nut oil, for frying
- 4 onions, sliced into rings then halved
- 2 coloured peppers, cut into coarse chunks
- 4–6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 brinjals, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 8–10 baby marrows, thickly sliced
- Coriander leaves and toasted flaked almonds, for garnishing
- Brown the chicken pieces in the oil and remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and sauté gently to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and add the tomatoes, chicken stock, lemon zest and juice, and seasoning. Stir in.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes until the chicken is nearly cooked.
- Add the sweet potatoes, brinjals and baby marrows.
- Continue simmering until everything is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes for the flavours to mature.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and flaked almonds.