CHICKEN LIVERS AND MUSHROOMS
What you’ll need
- 1 large onion, sliced into half rings
- 2 tbsp macadamia nut oil
- 250g chicken livers, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp water (or brandy)
- 6 rashers bacon
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- Chopped chives, to garnish
- In a pan, fry the onion in the macadamia nut oil. Add the livers, garlic, coriander and paprika, and fry over a low heat until cooked.
- If the livers are dry, add a tablespoon of water or brandy to moisten. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate frying pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the pan and fry the mushrooms until brown on both sides. Don’t overcook as they will become watery.
- Slice a sliver off the top of the mushrooms to make them lie flat. Add these bits and the stems to the livers in the pan.
- Place on a warm plate, then top with the chicken livers and bacon. Sprinkle with chives and serve on a bed of buttered cabbage noodles.