Still battling acne even though you’re way past your teens? Factors like hormone changes, stress, stopping or switching your birth control or even certain antibiotics can cause breakouts at any age. But not to worry – here’s how to keep those bumps at bay.
Use a gentle cleanser that contains salicylic acid which helps unclog pores. For best results, use twice daily. TRY Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pore & Shine Daily Wash (R99.95). Wash with lukewarm water, gently rubbing in circular motions. Avoid using face cloths as they can irritate sensitive skin.
Use a serum developed specifically for acne-prone skin. They penetrate your skin deeper than moisturisers. We like SkinCeuticals Blemish & Age Defense Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment (R1 247).
Keep your skin hydrated with a moisturiser that has pimple-fighting ingredients in it, like sebium hydra. We love Bioderma Sebium Hydra Moisturising Compensating Care (R228).
DOs & DON’Ts of fighting acne
- DON’T pop, squeeze or pick. It can lead to scarring.
- DO use only oil-free skincare and hair care products. Oil in beauty products can clog your pores – enticing breakouts.
- DON’T scrub your skin clean – even though it seems like a good idea. Scrubbing will irritate your skin, which leads to more breakouts.
- DO use an SPF30 or higher. Sun protection is super-important for sensitive or acne-prone skin.
- DON’T use products that contain alcohol. They will damage your skin.
- DO practice patience. Stick to your treatment plan even when it seems like progress isn’t being made. Sometimes it just takes a little while.
Just can’t deal? We understand that there are times when popping it is your only option. Here’s how to (properly) pop a spot.