1. Just like your bones, your nails rely on a balanced diet that includes plenty of protein and vitamins to be strong and healthy. If you’re worried something is missing, try taking a supplement developed for hair, skin and nails. This will ensure you’re getting all the nutrients your nails need.
2. Never, ever bite, pick, or tear your nails or hangnails. Ever! Not only is this a nasty habit, it will also damage your nail bed (weakening the nail further). It can also allow bacteria to enter your skin and cause an infection. Yuk! Instead, use clean manicure tools to effectively remove the problem.
3. Just like skincare, you need to make nail care part of your daily routine. Trim your nails regularly with clippers and smooth rough edges with a nail file. Clean under your nails every day with either a hoof stick or old school nail brush. Moisturisation is imperative for healthy nails. Massage cuticle oil into each nail every night before you go to sleep, and apply hand cream as often as you can throughout the day. If you aren’t wearing nail polish, protect your nails by wearing a protective product that will nourish and strengthen your nails while giving a natural shine.
4. If you get easily bored with your nail colour, and are prone to changing it often, it’s a good idea to switch to an acetone-free remover. Acetone is harsh and can dry out your nails, causing them to crack, which can cause your nails to break, split and can even lead infection.
5. Always make sure you wear rubber gloves when washing dishes or using cleaning products. These chemicals can be very harsh on your nails and cuticles, causing them to become dry, brittle and discoloured. If you have green fingers, protect your nails and hands from dirt and the elements by wearing gloves when you’re in the garden.
Emmy is the daughter of a sailor, animal loving, coffee addicted, beauty product junkie editor of Rouge.
Looking for more nail tips? Here are 3 quick fixes for damaged nails. Click here for all our step-by-step nail guides. And if you’re desperate for a shade upgrade, check out our pick of the hottest polishes for winter.