How to hide that hangover
We’ve all done it before – overindulged at the many, many parties we’re expected to attend at this time of the year. And while the morning after is always bad news for your skin, there are many tricks and tips to keeping your complexion in top-form, so the peeps at work won’t have any idea what you were up to the night before.
1. The biggest hangover giveaway is those pesky puffy, dark eyes. Start by applying anything cold to your eye area, such as ice cubes, cucumber, a spoon from the freezer (anything that will cover the area will do). The cold makes your blood vessels shrink slightly, thus helping to reduce puffiness and dark shadows. I always keep a pair of Eyeslices (www.eyeslices.com) in the fridge for just such occasions.
2. Once you’ve cooled your lids for 10 minutes, apply an eye treatment that contains caffeine, as this also helps to reduce puffiness.
3. Apply a super moisturising face cream! As your skin will be dehydrated from the alcohol, it’s important to add moisture back.
4. To get a perfect-looking skin, you need to prep it with a foundation primer. Primers create a smooth, even canvas for you to work on, hiding any telltale fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Next apply your regular foundation. Add a few drops of illuminating fluid before your apply.
6. Once you’ve finished with your foundation, have a look at which areas need extra coverage. Dark circles, and the edges of your nose will probably be the worst areas!
7. Now add a subtle glow to your cheeks with a cream blush. Cream is best because it gives the most natural finish (powder will dry out your already dry skin).
8. The finishing touch is a sweep of mascara. First curl your lashes, as this will open your eyes, and if the inner rims of your eyes are a bit red, line them with a white eye pencil.
Add a slick of hydrating lip balm such as Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream to keep your lips moisturised, pack a bottle of cool water into your handbag, throw on a large pair of sunnies to hide the bright sunlight, and you’re ready to face the world!
Emmy is the daughter of a sailor, animal loving, coffee addicted, beauty product junkie editor of rouge.